The Naked Truth About Book Cover Artists and Designers

By June 6, 2017Art

If you know anything about me or read any of my other posts you would notice the good amount of Premade Book Covers on my site.  For the moment I got into this Digital Art, my primary goal has been to become a successful Book Cover Artist like Mirella Santana. I thought that there would be support groups, forums, and just an overall community like there is with most artistic communities such as writers, and traditional artists.

You would be wrong. Book Cover Design is a relatively new industry, especially with the flood of Indie Authors who want quality book covers for their books. And instead of their being a community Book Covers helping each other, pooling resources, standing up for another, making sure that newbies are not being taken advantage of. Book Cover Artist are competitive and everyone is out for themselves.

istock_000009432948medium

I personally have tried to do something about it. I had one Book chat, where I only had a few Book Cover Artists join me. I thought that it might because I did something wrong or I didn’t approach them in the right way.  So I mostly brushed it off, and then I recently started a group only a had a few members and no one even replied to any my posts. Again, I thought I was just doing something wrong. Then, I talked to one of the few Book Cover Artists that would actually talk to me. And she told me the real truth about why Book Cover Artists wasn’t reacting to any of ventures: They have no interest in a community at all.

For me, that doesn’t make sense. On my on blog, I’m always trying to reach out and help other artists, because not only its the right thing to do, it also makes senses business wise. There is a reason why there is such a big wonderful artist communities, unions, and advocacy groups. They make workers better if we pool our resources and help one another.

content-writing-that-helps

So I’m making a pledge right now. If you a Book Cover Artist and you need help or support or feedback then email me, or IM me on Facebook,  join my facebook group and post something or just leave a comment here. I’m always here to listen.  I have found that change can often start with one person, so I’m starting a revolution Book Artist by Book Cover Artist.  Will you join me?

10 Comments

• Nikki Leigh says:

I’ve dabbled in book cover creation. I went to school for graphic design and while in school I had someone commission me to create their book cover. I’ve only done one. I’m not sure book cover design is a big enough industry to create a community like graphic design in general.

• justaddgigi says:

I respectfully disagree. I honestly think that there is such a need for competent book cover artists, especially with the boom of independent authors who need good book covers to market their books properly. The industry is small right now, but it’s growing and I have actually seen small industries such as transcriptionists have a more collaborative and cooperative community.

• Andrea R Huelsenbeck says:

Writers and bloggers are SO much more collaborative.

• justaddgigi says:

I totally agree! I have never found a more welcoming and helpful community than the writing community. They encouraged me and gave me awesome feedback. With book cover artists, I find it’s everyone out for themselves. A lot of book cover artists act like vultures fighting over a piece of meat and it’s harming our industry.

• Pam Avoledo says:

I’m more in the writing community. I didn’t realize book design was so competitive. It’s unfortunate. With writers, people are always asking questions and wanting feedback. I don’t know how the design community can be so closed-off. It defeats the point. It could be a bigger industry if everyone worked together.

• justaddgigi says:

As a writer, I have never met a more warm and welcoming community as the blogger and writing community. I get feedback, support, encouragement, and advice. Yes, we have our disagreements, but we usually stand up for one another and pool our resources. As a book cover artist, it’s everyone for themselves.It’s just really, really sad.

• Kate Rauner says:

I’m probably one of your problems – a wannabe indie author who makes her own covers. When I started I thought – once I’ve accumulated enough $ from sales I’ll hire a real designer. That’s a chicken and egg problem! But I’ve scanned cover-critique sites and it seems like both DIY covers and professional covers get panned and get praised. Of course – since the customer is always right – this may all be the author’s fault. I’ve read that in traditional publishing authors aren’t allowed to talk to the cover designer and may not be allowed to comment at all. Despite my being an author, I bet that’s a good idea :\

• justaddgigi says:

I write as well, and I tend to make my own covers. As well communication with my author clients I always get feedback from my authors during the process of making a covers. I want all my authors to feel as involved in with their cover process as possible. I really disagree with traditional publishing on that standpoint. Authors should have some input into their covers.

• justaddgigi says:

I really think they do, well I hope they do. I really try to do right by all of my clients.